Are you just working in your business or on your business?

leapI often hear people talk about how they want to make changes in their business, but so many times the day-to-day of business sweeps you away, and before you know it, the plan you had for the day is shot.  Sometimes it goes onto the next days “to-do’s,” and then it just keeps moving down the list until one day you think to yourself “Well, I’m never going to get this done – I’m dropping it.”

Now, don’t get me wrong, sometimes letting things go is good – I often think our “to-do” lists are way too long! But then there is the other side of it – the part where there truly are things you need to do to work ON your business to make improvements or changes.  If you are the 10% of the population who is highly results driven and self-motivated, you keep the promises you make to yourself.  If you are like the other 90% of the population, you are probably not very good at keeping agreements with yourself.  Don’t feel bad if you are – you’re in good company, and it’s just part of being a human being.  J

What to do if you’re part of the 90%?  My best suggestion is to hire a coach.  We all need coaches.  Coaches drive us, inspire us, hold us accountable, and demand that we deliver.  A good coach sees possibilities for us that sometimes are beyond our grasp.  If you’re a small business owner and don’t have a board of advisors, you likely don’t have someone who will tell you what you may not want to hear, but that could be pivotal for your success.

If you don’t have someone who coaches you, find someone – there are lots of great business coaches out there.  When you find one, use them well. Don’t show up to complain (although complaining now and again is completely acceptable) – show up ready to work ON your business.  Ready to take the next hill, ready to dream big, and make big promises, and … ready to let them hold you accountable to what you said you wanted – that is where their true value is – and great success occurs!

Get your FREE Business Health Assessment to find out where your business is bleeding profits!

Get It Now